Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Egg Free Oatmeal Cookies

Last week I made egg-free Oatmeal Cookies with the hope of being able to share them with the littlest buddy, Jack. I made the Vanishing Oatmeal Cookies from the back of the Quaker Oats Box, substituting two tablespoons of Flax Seed Meal with 6 tablespoons of water, for the two eggs the recipe called for.

Anyways, the cookies turned out pretty darn good. And also, I ate more than my fair share of cookie dough since it didn't have raw eggs in it I figured it was totally safe!

I was worried that the cookies, upon baking, wouldn't hold together, though. And to some extent I was right. When I pulled the cookies out at 8 minutes, my usual time for cookies, they were still pretty doughy, so I put them back in the oven.

However, I may have just been paranoid.

All in all, the cookies were a lot denser, however they did taste good. They kids have been eating them, so that's good.

But I realized that I didn't sub out the butter, so they're a no-go for Jack! I can't believe I blanked on that! So, really, I need to be finding vegan recipes for Oatmeal Cookies. I'm back to the drawing board...

2 comments:

D.L. White said...

The adventure in dairy-free cooking continues!

I have a couple of friends who are vegan (one of whom is always baking). If you'd like, I could ask them for some resources or find out where they get their recipes from. Just let me know.

Kristi said...

It doesn't matter that you're cooking them in the oven?

What about substituting margarine--I'm not sure what's in it, but I'm guessing not anything dairy (or found in nature).