Monday, September 1, 2008

Sarah Palin for V.P.!

Yes, I am thrilled with the Palin pick for a couple of reasons.

First, and most importantly, because she is a conservative. A NRA-card-toting, abortion-refusing, pro-drill-in-Alaska, kill-Bridge-to-Nowhere, Conservative. That's my type of girl!

Secondly, I am thrilled that he picked a woman. Now, I do not go for identity politics. And there may have been part of this decision which was identity based. And yet I'm willing to overlook it since it shows the GOP as willing to step up to the plate. No matter what I think, there are Americans who do vote for candidates of the basis of sex, race and religion. So, what are you going to do? I wish the GOP didn't have to play the identity politics game, but alas, this is the field we are on and we better start playing or we're going to lose.

The most brilliant thing about this pick was the timing. I LOVE MCCAIN FOR THIS! He announced his pick the morning after Obama's speech. Essentially nullifying everything Obama spoke on only 12 hours earlier. Sure he gave a good speech, but who is talking about it today? Not that he said anything which hasn't been said over the last 40 years. But at least the media isn't regurgitating on it.

So, yes, I'm happy about the Sarah Palin pick. What say you?

3 comments:

Mrs. Miller said...

I'm thrilled with Palin!! She's young, talented, a former beauty queen and high school athlete, wife of one husband, and mother to FIVE kids!!!! Rock on!

"Intentionally Katie" said...

I was at the gym watching CNN when they broke the story. McCain is a genius. I just shook my head and laughed...and was pretty disappointed at some people who criticized him for making such a poor choice. No international experience, an attractive female (when he has a history of an affair after Vietnam)...What?!?! Let's look at the pros, here. She's young, FEMALE, a working mother of 5 - I think she brings a great demographic pull to his ticket.

I still think this choice was genius. And totally unexpected. Who cares if he's old - if he croaks, we have a young tigress to run the free world. WOO HOO!

Betcha didn't think I'D have much to say on this topic, did you?!?!?

Go McCain.

Heather@Cultivated Lives said...

Although she seems like a really neat lady, at this time, I would not be comfortable with her as Pres if McCain is elected and dies... With the world as it is now, having someone leading our country who knows what they are doing on a world-wide level is very important to me. That being said, I would much prefer the opinions of her advisors to the opinion of Obama's advisors as he is also inexperienced.

A key difference here though is that she is at the bottom of the ticket and not the top.

Aside from that, it is a very interesting, out-of-the-box pick and I'm excited to see what happens over the next couple of months.