Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Name

Have you ever stopped to wonder at the names of God? In my Bible study we have been working through the life of Moses. And in Exodus, God reveals himself as "I Am that I Am". Whereas He revealed himself as El Shaddai, God Almighty, to Abraham, He now revealed himself as I Am, or I Am That I Am, Yahweh, Jehovah. I Am, He is. Always. Forever. No beginning. No end. He's not relative to anything or anyone. He is. Amazing.

The names of God are also the characteristics of Him, or his personality, which He has revealed to us. And doesn't it blow your mind that those revelations are only part of who He is? Even the revelations about His personality are only as much as He's chosen to reveal.

It is humbling and exciting to find new ways to wonder at God. I only know as much as He's revealed. Awesome. I'm excited for eternity.

Do you have any favorite names for God?

2 comments:

CandidaBell said...

I like Yahweh - it sounds so global, like you could hear it anywhere. I remember the first time I heard that in a World Religions class, and I think it should be used more.

D.L. White said...

My favorite is Jehovah-Rapha - "God My Healer".