Thursday, February 18, 2010

So, is it Team USA? Or Team Polo?

So, I like the Olympics. I don't watch every event, but I like watching what I do see.

Also, I have just a tiny bit of patriotism inside of me. (Just a little...) So I love to see the USA CLEAN UP at international competition. It shows our superiority. I like superiority.

Anyways, I was watching the opening ceremonies last week and in comes the USA Olympic team and they are wearing some rockin' Ralph Lauren duds. (Big fan of R.L. You know, he's the American designer if you ask me.) Except for one major problem.

There's a HUGE polo logo on the front of the Jacket, with USA on the back. Like first and foremost, Ralph Lauren, and then as an afterthought, USA.

So, I'm just wondering. Which is more important? The marketing of your clothes line? Or the promotion of the USA?

(This is not the actual jacket worn in the Opening Ceremonies. But a good example.)

2 comments:

Kristi said...

My question is, who paid for the duds. Did RL donate them? Or did Team USA cough up the dough? Most of the time that's what determines "product" placement.

The snowboarding pants that look like jeans have been my favorite. :)

chandy said...

I have to admit, when I first glanced at those, my immediate thought was "Why are they wearing those? Polo is in the summer olympics!"