Sunday, May 3, 2009

Gardening

I have started gardening. It started because I read this series of books by Terri Blackstock about what would happen if God allowed an electromagnetic pulse which caused total disarray to economies, which included food sources. Basically, I saw how necessary it would become to be self-sufficient. Thus, a garden was formed.

Anyways, I like new things and LOVE new challenges so I started this garden in February. Erik built the box (wonderful hubby that he is) and I started the seeds.




And this is what we have so far. The plants on the left started from seeds and are Italian Parsley, Jalepeno Peppers, and Basil. And then I planted others from pots, Cilantro, Beefsteak Tomatoes, Yellow Bell Pepper and Lavender. Those are the enormous things on the right.

I have learned that I probably shouldn't have planted the tomatoes so close. They are enormous. Add that to how big beefsteaks get and I'm in TROUBLE! I need to stake supports very quickly or they will fall over, as I think they are about to!

I go out there every afternoon to check on the moisture level. The girls go with me and it is very rewarding. Unfortunately they have learned how to turn the hose off and on and that's not so much fun for me. Loads of fun for them, however!

This afternoon for lunch I was able to clip fresh basil from my garden and make a spinach basil pesto. It was awesome! I'm thrilled with the progress. And it hasn't been too hard, actually. Thankfully my wonderful husband has had some experience in the gardening arena due to his New York childhood.

All in all, I'm so happy that I got to thinking about the end times which allowed me to pursue a new past time.

5 comments:

"Intentionally Katie" said...

I had no idea that's why the garden was started! Kind of funny, if you ask me. Regardless, I'm jealous and motivated to follow in your footsteps.

I forgot to ask...lavendar? You planning on making everyone bathsalts for Christmas???

chandy said...

That looks great Jes! I am officially jealous of your garden! Maybe I'll start with a few container plants and branch out from there...

And can I sign up now to sample the first batch of salsa you make from those yummy tomatoes, peppers, and cilantro? Delish!

CandidaBell said...

I have been wanting to do a garden in my backyard for so long. My mom has a total green thumb and I kind of lack skill in the watering department. I always over water or under water. What side of the house is yours built on? Does it get direct sun all day long?

Don Durham said...

Nice! I have a little garden of my own. Right now they are just potted plants, and may stay that way since we are just renting. Everday I go out there hoping that the gardening fairy will leave some fruits on them, but alas nothing. I'm not one for patience.

D.L. White said...

Yay! The Last Light garden is growing! :) Literature inspires a new hobby, I love it.

And you know, if an EMP does go off, all the book club gals are going to show up on your doorstep, expecting to mooch off your pre-planning! :P