Monday, February 18, 2008

Birthday Blow Out

Matilyn is two. Need I say more? :)

We had our family over for a birthday party to celebrate the wonderful creation that Mati Grace is. She had an Elmo themed party. And by the way, so did I. Yes, it was my birthday as well. And since I am not 30 yet I thought it would be nice to have a joint party. We had an Elmo party for her, and grown-up brunch for me.

Since I have discovered my absolute love for cooking and baking I thought I would make something divine. I picked an Egg Casserole with hard-boiled eggs on the bottom, Canadian bacon and then covered it with a Gruyere Cheese sauce and Parmesan cheese. It was a Paula Deen recipe, and it didn't disappoint. I got the idea to make it like Eggs Benedict so I served the egg on top of an english muffin with a side of asparagus. Yum-oh!

I also made a fruit dip, chocolate chocolate-chip muffins, and of course we had cake. It was delicious! Here are a couple of pictures.




That evening, Erik took me to Abuelo's (Mexican food-my favorite!) and then to a play called "Forever Tango". It was mostly dancing with a tiny bit of storyline. And it was all tango music and tango dancing. I can't say enough about the dancing; it was amazing. However, did you know that the accordion (called the banderon (sp?) is predominant in tango music? Oh yes. And there were three of them! Needless to say I got my accordion fix that evening.

But it was a lovely evening and the wonderful Erik really went out of his way to plan something nice for me on my birthday. He even got someone to cover his work-shift!

3 comments:

chandy said...

Happy Birthday Jess! Looks like a great party! I'll have to try the casserole recipe. Don't you just love Paula Deen? I think almost all of her recipes call for a stick of butter, and that's probably why they are so darn good!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, looks good. Oh, and Happy Birthday!

Karen said...

It was a great party. And the food was, well, you could give Martha Stewart a fun for the money!