Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Michelle Obama

KEEP IT PITHY AND WITH A TOUCH OF GENTLENESS.

I know a few of you will find this completely unoriginal, but I can't help but not post on this.

Really, has Michelle Obama never been prouder of her country? Like on 9/11, was she ashamed of our country? Was she one of those who felt we brought the terrorist attack on ourselves? And like John Podhoretz said in this article, she became an adult in 1982. The Cold War ended during her adulthood, welfare increased, the economy grew...Really? She's never been more proud?

It's not like I ever mis-speak. I have a tendency to exaggerate, but I'm not a lawyer with double-Ivy League degrees like Mrs. Obama. Anyways, I'm perplexed and not a little concerned.

The troubling thing about this, for me, is that it shows a bit of narcissism. Like she couldn't possibly be proud of America unless the people loved her and her husband. I am so tired of politicians acting like saviors and the means of saving is the government. It's not true! The government can not give you happiness and success and the Obamas will not save you from decisions, whether good or bad. Arghhhh!

7 comments:

chandy said...

But it is the government's job to take care of us! We can't be expected to do it ourselves...that would be really hard!

I heard a clip from the speech and she definitely doesn't seem to have a commanding presence or confident speaking voice. She just seemed really shaky to me. Hopefully she meant to say that she had never been proudER?

Anonymous said...

Apparently she clarified what she meant today.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/02/20/more-from-michelle-obama-on-pride/

In context, her quote makes sense to me, though I did not hear her entire speech.

Karen said...

Words mean things. This comment goes along with her comment about Barack being subject to a drive-by shooting while he's filling his cary with gas. She's obviously engaging in class warfare.

Karen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Heather@Cultivated Lives said...

I'm glad my hubby isn't running for office. I can't imagine what kind of stupid things would be caught on tape, as I have a horrible habit of misspeaking at times...

Karen said...

Seriously, Heather! A would-be politician had better live his/her life like a robot. I pity the teens and young adults who have 'exposed' themselves on "You Tube." 'Be yourself' may not be good advice considering that you may not have matured yet.