Friday, February 1, 2008

Detecting Psychological Disorders

I came across this interesting article on Suite101.com about detecting psychological disorders.

If you read through the four common ways of determining if someone is eccentric or insane, you may notice that a couple of them are completely subjective to the time and culture. I noticed that even someone's psychology is held in reference to what is accepted socially. I guess I found it a little disconcerting. A person's mental health dependent upon what the American Psychological Association says...

I like what the prophet Isaiah says in the Bible: "You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you." Isaiah 26:3 That does not mean that I don't believe in therapy as a means of psychological treatment, because of course I do. My point, however, is that God's standard of mental health doesn't change. I believe He desires us to be at peace with Him, mentally, spiritually, physically.

No comments: