Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Clair de Lune

I just got back from Texas yesterday where we were celebrating my grandfather's life here on earth.

One of things we are tasked with is going through my grandparents' things and throwing away trash or wrapping up things we wanted to keep. My grandparents, having grown up in the midst of the Depression, did not throw things away. So, we have a huge task ahead of us. Well, the family who was in town decided to start the process this weekend because the house needs to be sold and fixed up before then.

During a break from the work, we watched Oceans 11. And at the end, where all the thieves are standing in front of the Bellagio watching the water show, they start playing this beautiful piano suite. One of my younger cousins said, "I love Chopin. He rocks." And both my mother and one of my uncles said at the same time, "It's Debussy; Clair de Lune." Seriously, isn't that awesome? No wonder I love classical music.

This is just one of the many amazing things my grandparents fostered in my family, on both sides. My mom's parents loved music too. They all encouraged not just an appreciation of music (as I have) but also the ability to bless others by playing and singing (which I do not have).

As a special treat, take 4 minutes and listen to this piece by Claude Debussy.

No comments: