Saturday, January 7, 2012

Books I Plan to Read in 2012

I was inspired by this MoneySavingMom's post about the 24 books she plans to read this year that I have undertaken to do that myself.

I made the decision after I woefully discovered that I hadn't finished more than one book from my book club and then I realized that I had been missing out on a BUNCH of great reading by wasting time with shows like The Sopranos, and Seinfeld.  Okay, those shows are not a waste of time.  I'm kidding about that, but really, I spent 2011 watching a lot of evening television while I was either not sleeping because of a new born or just exhausted from a day of watching kids.

But I'm back on the reading horse!  I have selected 12 (mostly) non-fiction books to read alongside the books from my book club.

January:
Power Thoughts by Joyce Meyer

February:
Living Your Strengths

March:
Knowing Scripture by RC Sproul

April:
Stop Acting Rich by Thomas J. Stanley

May:
The Normal Christian Life by Watchman Nee

June:
A Family of Value by John Rosemond

July:
Life After Death by Dinesh D'Souza

August:
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

September:
Being George Washington by Glenn Beck

October:
The Great Divorce by CS Lewis

November:
Jacob I Loved by Ron Durham

December:
Something More by Catherine Marshall

I'm really looking forward to this year of reading.  I will try and post reviews as I finish them.

3 comments:

Mitchell and Amy Schultz said...

I LOVED Unbroken, such an amazing story. I looked through my kindle and I managed to read 15 books last year...typically when I am on the elliptical at the gym. I just finished Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover and am about to start The Dry Grass of August, by Anna Jean Mayhew. The Great Divorce is in my amazon wish list, along with The power of a praying parent by Stormie O'Martian...Happy Reading!

chandy said...

I though you read The Great Divorce with us for book club... did you miss that one? I think you'll enjoy it a lot. I didn't think it was quite as heavy as Screwtape Letters, but in typical Lewis fashion, he definitely gets you to think.

I'll second Unbroken... it was AMAZING. I just loved that book.

I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on the Joyce Meyer book. I've never read anything by her before, but from what I've heard on the radio she seems to be...hm, sort of a word of faith/prosperity preacher.

Mrs. Miller said...

I love A Family of Value, Knowing Scripture and The Great Divorce, but haven't read any of the others (hanging head in shame). This is a good year for me to read too, although TV sure is nice for the reasons you said. Little children are hard and I want an easy entertainment escape at night. Speaking of tv, have you seen Downton Abbey? Hands down by far my favorite mini series of all time! Great characters, gorgeous set and costumes, and some conservative themes as well!