Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Christmas Movies

I have been enjoying a wonderful month of readings from The Queen. She's posted every day for one month. I feel encouraged to do the same this month. And since it's December 1, I thought I might as well go for it.

I can not promise anything awesome. But I do so want to get into the habit of regular blog posting. It's so nice to have a place where I can vent or enlighten.

How do you feel about the animated Christmas movies? My husband is an ENORMOUS fan of the animated 60's Christmas movies. Like Rudolph the "Red Nosed Reindeer". However, now my children are sharing in the obsession. Every day it's "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" and "Frosty the Snowman". Do you know how annoying it is to sing "Frosty the Snowman" while trying to fall asleep at night? Cause that's what I have been doing every night for the past week. Now in all fairness, my least favorite of the animated seasonal films is "The Grinch". But Frosty should be melted eternally in my opinion. I am so in favor of global warming with Frosty. (This does not mean that I believe global warming actually exists, because I don't. Anyways, another post for another day.)

I do like most Christmas movies, though. Just not the animated ones. I like Mickey's Christmas Carol. So, there's one.

My favorite Christmas movie, which is not really a Christmas movie is "Meet Me in St. Louis" with Judy Garland. It's so good. I just love it. I love the songs. I love that the climax is on Christmas Eve. I love that Vincent Minnelli directed Judy Garland and because of that they married. (Well, he turned out to be gay, but anyways, it's a neat love story.) And because of that movie my favorite Christmas song is "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas".

My second favorite Christmas movies are a tie between "White Christmas" and "It's a Wonderful Life". White Christmas because of the Sisters number. I love the part where Bing and that other guy danced and lip synched the Sister's song to provide an escape for the girls.

And "It's a Wonderful Life" always reminds me that life is not hopeless and when we feel small and insignificant God has a wonderful plan for us. We can not know the impact we have on people simply by being alive. I love that movie. Makes me cry just thinking about it.

What are your favorite Christmas movies?




5 comments:

chandy said...

I suspect you will think I'm no longer cool enough to be your friend after I admit this, but here goes...

I love (really love) The Brady Bunch Christmas special. I feel inspired when Carol is singing O Come All You Faithful in church (but I don't like that Cindy asked Santa to restore her voice, instead of Jesus...whatever) and then the big finish when they're all singing together while Mike is trapped in the cave in. Classic!

So, can we still hang out? Or have I put myself out of your league?

Mitchell and Amy Schultz said...

Meet me in St. Louis is by far my favorits Christmas movie...I LOVE IT! I watch it every year and make Mitch watch it too.

Jessie said...

Oh Chandy, I regret to say that I have yet to see The Brady Bunch Christmas. Is that on T.V. regularly? Maybe I'll find it on YouTube...

And my friends have no need for coolness. I think I'm kind of a nerd as it is. No worries for us, my friend. As long as we can bond over books, we're good! :)

"Intentionally Katie" said...

1. Let's be honest. Have you been READING April's daily blogs or just scanning them? Or is that just MY posts that get scanned?!?

2. I am looking forward to a daily post from you for a month. Especially the month of December. How ambitious of you!

3. Meet Me in St. Louis...never seen it. I've never even heard of it! Maybe this year is the year.

4. My favorite Christmas movie is The Family Man. (I had to look up the title b/c I couldn't get It's a Wonderful Life out of my head) And I was reminded last night of how much I love Christmas Vacation. It was on at a neighbor's house and I couldn't stop giggling.

Heather@Cultivated Lives said...

omg, now I totally want to watch Meet Me In St. Louis!!!!! I loved that movie growing up. In fact, Rich thought I was so wierd when I gushed over going to the MUNY which was built for that World's Fair from the movie. Of course, I gushed even more because we saw a theatrical production of Meet Me... sigh.

I'm a huge fan of White Christmas. The boys actually watched the whole thing through with us on Thanksgiving. I had forgotten how 'adult' (aka boring for kids) the movie was.